Frequently asked questions
What does Anita's logo Σ "sigma" mean?
Upper-case Σ is used in mathematics and science as a symbol for the summation operator. Anita selected this symbol as it encapsulates her work in schools whereby she: empowers teachers with curriculum content knowledge K-6; then models differentiated learning in their classrooms using hands-on concrete materials; and also supports leaders with strategic planning to create a consistent whole school approach to mathematics. In this way, Anita brings together the sum of all parts of teaching and learning mathematics within schools.
What if our school doesn't know what PL we need?
Simply pick up the phone, call Anita, and explain where your school is at on your current journey for the teaching and learning of mathematics and where you would like to be. This may include specific content (e.g. Place Value concepts), pedagogy (teaching for deep conceptual understanding rather than rote learnt procedures), building capacity within your school, concrete materials, teaching strategies to differentiate instruction (asking open-ended questions), fostering classroom discussion, explicitly using mathematical language, open-plan classrooms, team teaching, intervention strategies (eg. RTI, CMIT etc).
Anita will then discuss with you a range of solutions and plan focus areas which best address your schools professional learning needs within your budget constraints. Together with Anita and your school leadership team, you will be well on your way to implementing a professional learning plan over the next 12 - 24 months.
How can we get Anita to visit our school?
Anita loves home baked anything as she spends half of the year away from home in schools and motel hopping.
- Bottled water is a must have to save her voice.... whilst running between classrooms!
- Morning tea - chocolate cake/slice and a skim cap (one raw sugar)
- Lunch - fresh fruit and sandwiches/wraps on brown bread with more water
- Cheese & crackers are great after a day of demonstration lessons and before a 2-hour staff workshop (a 7:00 pm dinner is so far away!)
- Flowers - a very special token of appreciation after a Saturday whole day Staff Development Day.